Saturday, June 2, 2012

Hubby arrives in Anand


I was thrilled to see my husband! This was a new start for us, because for the past year I had been working opposite shifts from him and sometimes with opposite days off as well as doing the police academy. We hardly saw each other for a year, and when we did I was beyond exhausted from the physical training and no sleep and a high stress job supervising training in emergency services. I demoted myself right before the trip so that we would work the same shift, I could work less hours, be less stressed, and finally focus on my family and give up my workaholic tendencies. It's amazing how everything fell into place once I set my priorities straight, and I haven't looked back since.

The first day he was there he was bleary eyed and jet lagged, but they sent him upstairs right away for some paperwork. He never did get to meet our surrogate, but I'm sure that could have been arranged because most husbands did. My husband was only there a few days, and I didn't push for it to happen.

They asked if we wanted to do a frozen backup sample, and we were not charged extra for this. This was done really so that if he couldn't perform on the actual day of transfer they would have an extra one ready. We said okay, though I really wished he could wait until after he was rested so that we got good little swimmers. I will forever be grateful we said yes!  Any rumors you hear about the sperm collection room are probably true. I wouldn't say it is gross, but it sure feels that way because you know this room only exists for one purpose so nothing feels clean. They give you a sheet with instructions and a tiny container, and this is India after all so no visual aids to help you along. I did not realize there was A/C in this room, and only saw it turned on the separate waiting area dowstairs for foreigners.  I think the worst part is the line of folks directly outside in the waiting area, male and female, who all know what you are doing. No pressure. The best thing I can say about this part is that the room has a lock. I highly recommend asking if you can leave and do this in your hotel room and come right back, because I heard that is allowed. Video below:


I spent a few more days feeling ill, and then finally the shots stopped and we were ready for egg extraction. The last shot was delivered by a nurse on the day the clinic was closed, and so she came to our hotel late at night with her husband. In India it is normal and expected to TIP YOUR NURSES! I recommend at least 50 rupees minimum, but 100-150 is better. I'm not really sure but that is what we gave.

Before I detail the egg extraction, here is some local pics we took. I loved walking up to the fruit and veggie market because I am an afficiando of exotic fruit and veg. I wish I wasn't so sick and had an electric stove with me, because I would have found a way to buy and cook some!

 

 




At the end of the road near the train station I took a pic of the Gandhi statue and Christian church near the veggie market.


Ghandi Statue near train station

Christian Church near police station



I find it cool that scaffolding is actual limbs

Celebratory parade for some festival going on



Pellet guns sold along street to local males I'm sure. Guns are legal only with a special permit that you are under threat I'm told.

 

Once again I indulge in my habit of visiting fast food chains in foreign countries. The Subway was great, and there are two lines for vegetarian or non-vegetarian. Yummy! Some say not to eat the lettuce (no peel, local water) but I forgot at the time and did not get sick. Diggin the guy with the US flag T-shirt!

I took several cool videos of the local area on my iphone but can't seem to figure out how to pull them off Facebook and put them here. So I'll post one from HammockGuy66.


No comments:

Post a Comment